Do you ever feel as if you’re being held at gunpoint by the world?
You carry your faith and hope, God’s grace and mercy, as you head into your day. Before long, threats appear like gunslingers at high noon. Or imaginary scenarios menace like rustlers with six-guns. The challenge on every side is to stand and deliver.
The stand and deliver concept was introduced in 1591 by an outlaw in a Shakespeare play, Two Gentlemen from Verona. Since then gun-totin’ bad guys have used the phrase to demand their victims hand over their valuables or suffer brutal consequences. Today’s stakes in the spiritual battle are the same.
- Surrender the treasures of your relationship with God or your family, set aside your godly friends and colleagues, ignore your gifts and talents, abandon your call. Or suffer.
- Drop your weapons of wisdom from the Word, forego confidence in Christ, disregard guidance from Holy Spirit. Or else.
Have you heard the loaded magazine slide into place? Seen the gaping barrel? Felt the pressure?
Then you understand the ultimatum. Be assured. God’s Truth equips His children to reject the outlaw’s order.
1) The LORD directs us to dispense with fear and frustration because the conflict is His not ours.
Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s (2 Chronicles 20:15).
2) The LORD informs us we do not have to struggle, and commands us to secure our status. He instructs us to head into the fray with the reminder not to fear or be concerned since He is near.
You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you (2 Chronicles 20:17).
3) The LORD records His faithfulness to those who worship Him.
As they began to sing and praise, the LORD set ambushes against [attacking hostiles]* and they were defeated (2 Chronicles 20:22).
The next time you find yourself in a throw down, practice the strategy given to those who love and trust God. You stand and He delivers.
What hints do you have to win the duel? I could use the help.
*“the men of Ammon and Moab and Mount Seir who were invading Judah”